Aug 22, 2014

Waves Crashing: Of Rocky Shores, Rocky Roads and Hitting Rock Bottom

"Soul surfing to me is what you do when you are thoroughly in the moment- enjoying and expressing yourself on the wave and being one with the ocean."

- Tom Carrol, Australian Surfer

We encounter waves in every minute of every day. There are the light waves which make things visible and sound waves so we can hear. I was at the beach (my favorite retreat away from life and the best place for introspection) and I observed the behavior of the waves. On this rocky shore of the Punta Fuego beach, (a secret spot that I found) I could see how energy changes from one state to another and back again as the waves came crashing madly against the rocks. So I may not be on my best shape ever and I am fully crediting the fact that I am not consistent with my "gym, tan, juice" life as it is the "off season" and I am giving my body a break from the drought Labor Day at Boracay has brought upon. Just like the tides, my body also goes through changes: high and low. But no matter where the wind blows, I am comfortable in my own skin to know that I am beautiful just the way I am and my value as a person does not rely on the value stated on the weighing scale. As long as I am into clean and healthy living, I am more than happy... I am fulfilled. 

 




Now I shot this outfit (if you can call it that) at noon time in a very secluded beach which in other words mean: no cabanas, no lifeguards, no shade (except if you stand under a tree which was a scarcity in that cove) and of course, most importantly it translates to: swim at your own risk. I found the cove beautiful. I am not the usual prissy girl, as I have said and I love climbing up and down rocks and exploring the beach. I didn't mind that it was hot, the sun was out (it was a cloudless day) and that I didn't have slippers on. I eased into each rock and climbed on to the next one and before I knew it, I was far away from the shore than I should've been. That's the things about water babies: you cant leave them to their own senses at the beach because chances are, they will explore and you will worry. Now I didn't get a sun burn at all which never happens as I have very fair Asian skin that burns easily. A day at the beach would leave me burnt like a lobster. I never tan, I just get burnt, red and then white again...which is kind of something I was always unhappy with. Getting a golden glow required timed daily exposure to mild sun for two weeks and surely, no one has that time. But on this particular day, I didn't burn at all and I learned that there was a trick to that (and I will give you tips later on at the end of this entry...)



I love to watch ocean waves and I can probably spend a whole day with this scenic backdrop just watching the waves. I don't have to say anything or do anything but watch. It centers me. There are times, depending on the tide, that the waves are big and strong and then times that they are gentle and calm. I realized on that day that I was spelunking (or at least attempting to and failing miserably) that a wave can throw you back to the shore (I was so desperate to get to the other side, where more rocks and a cave awaited) or if we are not careful, it can suck us in. Whatever wave you see, one thing you can be sure of is that they will come, crash and then smooth itself out. If you learn to read the pattern of the waves in your life through your interaction with them, you can understand the energy of a wave, how to use it to your best advantage, how to dance amidst its awesome power and how to avoid crashing into one. Then you learn to ride the waves of life.



Photos by: Celyn Jaravata

xx, JL


On a side note, this would also be the perfect post to show you:

How to Stay Safe and Stylish Under the Sun 

This has been a common question I've been receiving and I think the issue needs to be addressed. Protection is key in the summer to avoid looking like a lobster. But who says you can’t be stylish while keeping yourself shaded? Embrace the sunshine with the new straw and wide-brimmed hats, or the retro fedoras, now at local retailers and online stores. I also curated certain outfits that would benefit you greatly skin-wise and style-wise. Here are my thoughts:

1. Clothing

Keep things breezy while still covering lots of skin with a flowy 100% cotton top in a light color. Cotton is one of the best fabrics for pulling moisture away from the skin and is soft and comfortable even on the most uncomfortable of days. Embroidered details will add a subtle and feminine flair.
Light hues. Well, most of them, anyway. White is fail-safe when it comes to avoiding – how do they say it kindly – glistening. It reflects light and heat. Grey and light blue do, too, but they also show sweat more than others, so steer clear.
Long fabrics. You may think your maxi dress is holding in the heat, but that’s probably its polyester fabric. Choose one in a lightweight cotton. It will aerate while blocking the hot rays.
  Shirtdresses. In barely there fabrics, preferably. Their natural shape bows away from your body for instant breeze access.
Linen is another great, natural fabric to keep summer heat at bay, and these linen pants are loose-fitting for allowing more air through to cool the skin. Again, a light color is preferable and a long pant is great for keeping skin protected. Linen is also a very durable fabric and can withstand lots of play at the beach!
TIPS: Type of Material: Synthetic fabrics like nylon and polyester do a good job of blocking UV. Bleached cotton is a poor barrier material.  It’s best to use detergents with ‘optical brighteners’ for your summer clothes. These optical brighteners actually absorb UV rays, releasing the energy as ‘fluorescence’ — hence the bright look and more sun protection. Letting your clothing shrink a little will also increase sun protection because the spaces between the fabric fibers are tighter. Lastly, bleaching decreases sun protection so try to avoid it, especially for cotton and rayon fabric.

3. Hat

Your best accessory for a day in the sun is going to be a classy, wide-brimmed sun hat. The wider the brim, the more sun protection the hat will offer your face, which is perfect for days when you are trying to avoid slathering on sunscreen and having that “shiny nose” look. Go for a bold pattern or color to mix things up! I personally recommend 3 inches or wider to safely shield your face and neck.

4. Eyewear

Don’t skimp when it comes to eye protection – yep, UV rays can damage your eyes too, especially if your eyes are a lighter color like blue or green. Choose sunglasses that cover a large area around your eyes and are specified to protect against UVA and UVB rays. Look for glasses that complement the shape of your face, or go for a universal shape like the aviator.

5. Tote

A tote is an essential for keeping your sunscreen and other personal items close at hand on a hot day. A bag made from or lined with canvas will help keep things clean and dry for those hours at the beach.

6. Jewelry

If you choose to wear jewelry, keep it light with thin bracelets and small earrings. Avoid leather (it makes you sweat!) and dark metals that can heat up in the bright sun.

7. Shoes

The obvious choice for summer footwear is a sandal. And why not? They’re light on the feet and the best for allowing air to circulate, but before you throw on any old pair, consider the amount of time you’ll be spending in the sun. The tops of the feet are high-risk areas for sunburn because they are always facing the light and often neglected when sunscreen is applied. If you will be out and about during

8. Sun scarf 
Another quick cover-up is a far better drape for bare shoulders than the average white T-shirt. Plus, it doubles as a sarong over your swimsuit or as a head wrap.

9. Parasol 
The word “parasol” comes from Latin roots meaning “shade” or “shadow.” Women around the world have been using the parasol for centuries to protect their delicate skin from the sun. Opening a parasol on a blazing hot day continues to be a stylish and effective way to prevent skin cancer in many countries. It not only helps keep you extra cool, but also protects your skin from the early signs of aging. The amazing thing about parasols is that they are portable and offer shade to the entire top portion of your body. They cover your face, neck, shoulders and even the tops of your arms. And, unlike hats, they don’t mess up your hair.
My suggested looks would be:





No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL