Aug 13, 2014

Pretty In Pastel


I always love reverting back to pastel shades. I always thought I was an all black, leather, biker chic kind of girl but apparently, like most things in life, things change. I changed and I decided calm neutrals and pastel shades are so light and easy on the eye which is why I have always been so proud to wear these hues whenever I go out...especially during the day. The past few days, the weather has been cooperative which results in my own sunny disposition. It is always fun to go out when it is bright and sunny, considering a lot of places in the city are open-air and sunshine-friendly.



Chiffon Polka Dot Sleeveless Dress: Zara (Also worn HERE)
Oversized White Sunglasses: Gucci
Floral Wedge Shoes: So! Fab
Stam Bag: Marc Jacobs (Also worn HERE)
Pearl Necklace: Forever 21(Also worn HERE)
Pearl Bracelets: Forever 21 (Also worn HERE)


I guess my love for feminine and girly clothes juxtaposes my view on life which for me is more realistic, no stars in my eyes kind of way. I no longer subject myself to behave a certain way to be deemed "acceptable" to the world or to men. Ever since this whole "give your heart a break' thing, I've been finding myself more free-spirited and with a "devil may care" attitude as I don't find the need to please other people. It is very liberating. Sadly this does not represent reality for most women, or something close to it.I am past the whole "And they all lived happily ever after" thing- not because I don't believe in it... I still do think it is possible... but it just doesn't exactly fit in my short term life plans for now. I don't think I would be a spinster but as of the moment, I am basking in the experience of being answerable to no one else but myself and so far, I am enjoying this experience. Now, don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to spend the rest of your life with somebody, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong in wanting the whole experience of parenthood, and to a certain degree, if you really and truly want to make your career as a trophy wife, let alone a housewife, be my guest. But to have your life completely dictated by these things as the be-all, end-all not because you want it, but because society says so would simply be crippling a person’s potential. Yet this characteristic or facet of womanhood is still a part of the feminine psyche because our society hasn’t really come all that far in 60 or so years. A lot of people still expect to get married and have kids, career or no career, and if you don’t want these things first and foremost, there’s something “wrong” with you. Thanks, Society.



I may not really be in sync with that although I may want to keep that option open for the not so immediate future but for now, I want to work on myself and put myself first. In the meantime, let me wear my girly dresses instead for that part of my brain that has he archetypal notions of femininity that years of etiquette lessons and classes on decorum and rules of conduct that my parents have invested in has sprung out to existence.

Photos by: Celyn Jaravata

xx, JL

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL