Oct 10, 2014

Peace Like A River


I love being away from the city sometimes. Yes, even I, who was born and raised in this thriving metropolis also needs a break from the hustle and bustle of city life which can get quite stressful enough that one tends to burn out and if anything... that is such a bad feeling. So here I am, city girl gone rural and I love it. This is my day out in the suburbs look and it is still quite corporate but it was a business trip that I had to attend to and even if I was working, it wasn't as fast paced and busy as it is back in the Makati Head Office and so there was more than sufficient time to unwind, take photos and relax- bask in the fresh air and take in the river before me which unlike the river in Manila (which you smell first before you see...) is a sight to behold. I had a theme that particular weekend and it revolved around red, white and blue. It was quite patriotic but I have always loved the combination because it has quite a nautical feel to it... a theme that if you must know I am so obsessed about.


Tweed White Button Blazer: Zara (Also worn HERE)
Blue and White Pinstriped Button Down Blouse: Yes Nook (Also worn HERE)
Red Pants: Zara (Also worn HERE)
Coquelicot Luggage Bag: Celine (Also worn HERE)
Rockstud Kitten Heels: Valentino (Also worn HERE)


It was extremely relaxing to be away. By its very definition, relaxation is a state in which one is free from stress, tension or anxiety. It whatever you do that soothes your soul and makes you happy. For me, looking out to any vast body of water in front of me is exactly that. (I have always been a water baby, but that's just me.) It is always a life-changing moment that results to us re-evaluating the important things in life... the things that we often otherwise take for granted like even the simple fact that we opened our eyes to another beautiful day of life in the morning. I have realized that it is always a case of getting so caught up in our never ending busy lives that we have the tendency to forget just how pivotal it is to truly live in and experience every moment in its absolute simplicity. People like to relax in may different ways, I am sure but the thing I have realized about my generation is that we all put so much purpose and work into relaxation- the planning, the timing, the scheduling... it makes me wonder, is it really relaxing if you have to work so hard to do it? We love to live for the big and exciting things that we overlook appreciating the little things. More often than not, we live for the long weekends, the holidays or the vacation we have been dreaming of for month instead of cherishing the days we get to spend in our bed in our pajamas or in my case, having absolutely nothing on my mind but the peaceful calm of the river before me. 

Actually, on that day, I got to reflect on not taking life for granted and by making each day that I have the best it can be- this of course entails not taking life for granted. I acknowledge the fact that "bad days" are an inevitable part in human existence (especially now that Mercury is in Retrograde and everything around me is getting broken, cancelled or sabotaged) but sometimes, I think we forget that the events that transpire on a bad day may be annoying but most of the time, they are definitely not life altering. The fact of the matter is that we can choose to look at every situation in two ways: positively or negatively. I am sure that seems absolutely simple because to tell you the truth: it is. You can wallow or waste what you consider to be a bad day or you can accept that you are simply having a bad moment and move on. Good attitude and disposition stems from these simple choices you make on how to take in the challenges you face and it all starts of course in living in the moment. 

An all too often misconception is that we all have to wait for the right time to live out our biggest dreams and take on the biggest risks... when the reality is... the right time is now. We tend to overlook the seemingly meaningless for the something meaningful and as an effect, we live for the big things and not for today. My advice is this: do what it is you've been dreaming of doing. Enjoy every moment. And follow wherever it is the tides take you to. And do it all while you still have the chance.

xx, JL

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL