Jan 26, 2014

Defying Gravity





Jacquard Plunging Full Skirted Dress with Backless Detail: Zara | Jewel and Pearl Collar Necklace: Gold Dot Couture | Flower Crown: Anagon Collection | Sling Fabric Bag with Bamboo Details: Gucci | Pearl Accessories: Forever21


Hair Extensions Provided by STYLD.Extensions 




The title is so appropriate for this post because (1) I tried to defied gravity and risked my life by taking this photo high up our garden to be one with nature because the garden feel complimented my head dress by Ana Gonzales...  I was 4 feet up the ground and in 4 inch heels (that's not easy, trust me...) and (2) because this was my ensemble for when I watched Wicked (it's first show here in Manila) later that night. I would usually wear a long dress or an evening outfit rather than a short cocktail dress for the theater however it wasn't the gala night but the opening night so I kept it low key in this Jacquard dress with a lovely back detail and yes this is low key for me. I watched the amazing musical in the best seats in the house with my family + Andrew (who, well, I consider my family anyway).
 
















I wanted to be in Wicked theme and since I almost always play the villain in real life (sorry, I cannot play the victim card well because I'm kind of ferocious and fierce), I decided to wear a more angelic outfit for a change. It was a contradiction of who I was in so many ways since the all the white in this outfit contradicted my dark and twisty ways. But I thought it was redundant to wear something wicked, to watch wicked. I must say it was a fascinating look to wear and I admit I have been having a certain addiction for Little White Dresses. I reckon i have worn a lot of it in my blog posts. Aside from the fact that I am making an important point that you can wear the LWD and not look like a train wreck, I love the challenge of being able to practice proper etiquette especially for cocktails. Try carefully drinking red wine in a white dress without staining it and you'll feel like a rockstar. Again, I let my hair down... sleek and straight which is how I seem to be donning a lot because I am absolutely so obsessed with my straight hair look and the wonderful people behind STYLD.Extensions  were kind enough to send me a pair of straight ones which are so light and absolutely easy to use. I swear by it and I absolutely am addicted to this new "look" which they made possible for me to bring back. BTW, if you must know, I always wear hair extensions. I guess it is because I love making my hair fuller and add extra volume and thickness. I will have a surprise look some blog posts to follow and I am so excited to debut a new look. Thank you so much Jessa and more power to your brand!














I was supposed to make the title of this post "I'm not that girl" but I thought "Defying Gravity" made so much more sense granted the balancing act I pulled off posing for this outfit. Besides I do try to always defy gravity and equally gravity has always been my biggest feat to conquer since I seem to fall on my knees, flat on my face or my butt almost all the time. People who are with me can attest to this. One time, you are talking to me and the next, I vanish and am mysteriously found on the floor... My excuse: "I was just being scientific and I was testing gravity... Guess what? It works." This happens to me at least once a month. But I am sure there are far more strange things that can happen. I have the scars to prove it though. As they say, "Time wounds all heels (I mean heals..) Haha. It is an amazing thing to be able to laugh at ourselves and with others. Humor is so healing and it is so fun too. I have found out that humor is one of the first human gifts to disappear as we get jaded by life and all it throws at us. We lose the ability to laugh at ourselves and with others. Instead, we feel insulted if someone pokes fun at us... we tend to personalize everything, seeing it as a put down. The more our disillusionment takes over, the more we make Scrooge look like a stand-up comic. Indeed, instead of being healers,we become heels... heels without souls. As for me, I've decided a long time to develop a certain self-deprecating humor which has enabled me to laugh at myself almost in most things I entangle myself in. Good humor is very inexpensive. It is one of the pleasures in life that is relatively free. I am sure that if we try hard enough, we can remember a part of us that used to laugh and be playful. And humor does not die (thank goodness!) it just goes underground sometimes and dig caverns for our "serious selves" to cave into. 





I absolutely love Wicked and how it was written (music and lyrics) by Stephen Schwartz. He has had a way of cutting right through to the meat of things and based on the musical, he does it with so much humor and clarity. How often have we have thoughts we that we suppress and deny ourselves that chance to enjoy the tickle and the giggle in out minds and with others. We make life so serious and everything so important that we don't dare laugh- it might offend. We might offend. In order to not offend, sadly, I think we have rendered ourselves and our lives. How dull. I think it might be helpful to remember that our humor adds color to a world gone gray with inattention and fear of rejection. 



 I'm through accepting limits
'Cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!

I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you won't bring me down

 So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"

I'm defying gravity!
And you won't bring me down!
Bring me down!
Bring me down! 


- Defying Gravity, Idina Menzel

xx, JL 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL