Nov 21, 2014

Songs of Innocence


C. Joybell C. once said: “I think that the best thing we can do for our children is to allow them to do things for themselves, allow them to be strong, allow them to experience life on their own terms, allow them to take the subway... let them be better people, let them believe more in themselves.” 

Last week, fresh from the hospital, I was granted a wonderful chance to visit Keys School Manila where I was invited by the lovely faculty and staff especially Teacher Joyce to be a resource speaker to talk about Journalism and Blogging, a new topic that they are introducing into their curriculum as a special project. After my talk, the kids are going to come up with their own web blog wherein they can talk about their interests, hobbies, feelings, emotions etc. I was thrilled when I received the invite. Usually, I don't agree to give talks as much because I go to work on weekdays however since I was given the week off (from my recent confinement) and because I just simply cannot say "No" when it involves kids, I instantly responded that I was more than willing to go and give a short talk. You see, I love children. I really do. I find it refreshing to be with the young ones because there is something so magical in seeing the world through a child's eyes: with so much innocence, enthusiasm and spirit. If anything, I would love to be around that kind of energy more often because it is so pure and untainted by the world's ways. It was a beautiful day when I went to the school and the experience was absolutely unforgettable and one for the books. I am so glad to have been there since this was a day I definitely would not have missed out on the world.
 


Button Down Blue and Red Checkered Shirt: Zara
White Tutu Skirt: Glitterati
Navy Blue Ribbon Belt: Salvatore Ferragamo
Kitten Heel Ankle Strap Pumps: Zara
Crocodile Skin Blue Antigona: Givenchy
Pearl Necklace with Gold Cross: Forever 21
Photos by: Celyn 


Since the day was all about the kids, I decided to dress up in a respectable yet approachable manner. I didn't want to seem to be too stiff and rigid but I also wanted to look credible enough that they would listen to my insights, experiences and basically what I wanted to say. After giving much thought to it, I finally decided on this outfit which is both playful and quirky combined with functional, elegant and conservative... and definitely something child-friendly (because seriously, who does not love tulle and tutus?). I am an advocate of situational dressing when it comes to fashion so as much as possible I want to be creative enough to show the people I am meeting or the event I am going to that I actually took time to think and plan my outfit in advance. I think that doing so is one of the sincerest forms you can show respect to someone. I believe that sometimes, even the smallest and most mundane gestures such as these are the ones that people tend to remember more often. So I headed on to my talk in this playful plaid top (I chose red as I think it is a color that retains attention as it is striking) and kept the playhouse-themed look I wanted to go for consistent via my white long tutu skirt which is something that personally, I never grew out of since I was a child and up to adulthood. I used to dance ballet so my love affair with tulle has been something that has been going on for so long and I don't think I have plans of letting it go any time soon. This ensemble was a mixture of quirky eccentricity and tasteful sophistication which was the look I was going for on that day. More so, it allowed me to be comfortable to move around and to have fun with the kids as it was very easy to wear. The verdict: I could not have picked out any better or suitable outfit for this occasion and I am so happy I decided on this look.


Granted that education is such a big deal for me, I don't think I can bring myself to decline an offer to share what I know to the young minds of Keys School Manila. They were an amazing bunch- very eager to learn, marveling at the simple joys of life and having such a different perspective of the world- one that is full of wonder and awe. For a minute there, I actually missed seeing the world from a child's eyes. I think Roald Dahl said it best when he was quoted saying, "Grown ups are complicated creatures, full of quirks and secrets." and with this, I have to agree. Being in such a fresh, youthful and unblemished environment and setting made me crave for the optimism and hopefulness that every child there had. It was simply such a wonderful experience and I have nothing but good things to say about the lovely children, the school and the faculty and staff who were all so accommodating and nice. I think it is indeed true that children are the greatest gift God will give to and their souls the heaviest responsibility He will place in our hands. Take time with them, teach them to have faith in God. Be a person in whom they can have faith. When you are old, nothing else you've done will have mattered as much. I went to Keys School Manila to give a talk to the children and to teach them a thing or two about Fashion, Blogging and Journalism- most of them things that I have learned over the years through experience and practice. What I never expected that I too would learn so much from them that day and for that I consider myself blessed. Because while we try to teach children all about life, the reality is that children teach us what life is all about.


xx, JL



 
We advocate that all learners are capable of excellence if their specific skills, needs, and experiences are considered in their learning journey. The learning environment is positive, purposeful, inclusive, and resists a single right answer.
Our learners are engaged, self-directed and reflective. They apply their learning to problems and novel situations and reflect on their learning experience. They ask questions, challenge assumptions, think of alternatives, take risks and find solutions.
Our teachers are educational professionals. Instruction is carefully crafted with the right balance of familiarity and challenge. They promote a school experience that emphasizes holistic growth for each student and are committed to make a difference in their students’ lives and in the field of education.
Browse through the pages of this site. Be part of our growing community where students, teachers and parents collaborate to make a significant difference in the world we live in.
- Didi Manahan
Directress

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL