Dec 17, 2014

What Boyfriend?


No boyfriend? No problems.

I was walking around some bazaars and saw a number of statement shirts with that caption and laughed. While I am happy for all my friends who are blissfully in relationships, personally, I don't think that would work out for me... For now. As I have said multiple times, I am currently happily single and I don't think I want to change that as of the moment. It's refreshing actually to not even be dating right now because there is just no pressure, no drama, no tiffs... And I love it that way. At some point, I think I got tired of all the effort it required and all the issues involved- the main one would be my independence and refusal to inform my significant other of everything I do. I find that prerequisite taxing, actually. Probably because I am not techie or that I forget that I have to and that I seriously forget that I even have a phone in the first place...but that's always how I've been and it's so hard to change that. Trust me when I say I've tried and failed many times.  
Boyfriend Denim Button Down Shirt: Topman
Acid Wash Denim Shorts: Vanilla Breeze Clothing
Ankle Strap Brown Shoes: Haute and Rebellious
Belt: Vintage Italian
Brown Birkin Bag: Hermes
Rings and Necklace: Pretty Little Blings
Bangles and Cuffs: Cartier, Tiffany, Charriol
Gold Engraved "I Refuse To Sink" Cuff: Pulseras By Kim

I don't think the amount of time I am lavishing in being single and staying that way is alarming... so I think everyone should keep calm and carry on and I'm staying single and focusing on me... For a change. That's my current status in life right now and I don't have plans of changing it yet and probably as long as I am blissfully unaware of the bad things that go with being alone. But, hey, isn't it also true that being alone is better than being in bad company? Anyway, while I don't have a boyfriend, it is refreshing to know that I can still wear boyfriend-ish outfits... This oversized men's denim shirt I used for casual Fridays in the office is an example of that. I always loved wearing men's clothing as they aren't too binding and they are always very comfortable. While most people who saw me the day I wore this told me that my outfit theme was very "the morning after" and "what you wear when you do the walk of shame," I couldn't help but laugh, roll my eyes as I do and respond that "the best part of being single was being able to sleep around." Their eyes all widened and there was a deafening silence (add to the fact my current choice of outfit and that was just serious word vomit there)... It was like I just said that unicorns exists or something. Of course it was all a jest...as I followed it up with "I mean I can sleep all over my own bed- left, right, middle, horizontally...Gotcha" Sighs of relief became very apparent and I just laughed along. Even I don't take my brazen statements like that seriously. Hey, single girls can joke around too... 

The disclaimer is that I must admit that being single is difficult especially when everyone excepts you to be with somebody... Especially now, as the Christmas season and with it the Christmas parties come along. You can't imagine the number of "why don't you have a boyfriend?" questions that I get. Staying single is not about having no choice... But rather, it's about making intelligent choices for myself... For the first time after 10 years of bouncing around relationships. I'm going along and making decisions for "me" for a change and it is very liberating and I think I want to enjoy this time off right now. 

I'm at that point where I'm not sure of anything like where I want to go or who I want to be so being alone and getting things figured out is the perfect option. But I do know that this choice is perfect for now because I do know that a few years from now, all I want to be is happy. Besides, as I was scrolling down my feed, I saw this message and it basically captures how I feel: "I know what I bring to the table. So trust me when I say that I am not afraid to eat alone." Never settle, dolls! 

Photos by: Celyn

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL