Dec 21, 2012

Happily Never After






Happily Ever After isn't really the end...There's always SOMETHING after happily ever after.

Dress: With Love | Shoes: Gifts Ahoy | Bag: HermesBirkin | Necklace: Im.G | Accessories: Charriol


I was inspired to write about Happily Ever Afters because according to the Mayan Calendar, the world was ending today and well, because, the backdrop for this photo was quite whimsical in a fairytale kind of way. It reminded me of the door that unlocked the path to The Secret Garden and I reckon it provided the perfect background for my sweet and innocent eyelet bustier day dress which was way too girly and saccharine sweet, even for me. But since I am quite known to play with various looks, I decided this was the perfect dress to wear for the occasion I was to embark on- an errand to pick bridal gifts for my friend who got married recently. I always thought of bridal registries to be picturesque and classy and Rustan's definitely did not disappoint. It was quite a dreamy task to do and given I love weddings, I was more than eager to participate in picking out what to give. I attended her fairy tale wedding a few Saturdays back and I loved it. I am a sucker for weddings, I have to admit and hers was special. I was unfortunately unable to take photos of my dress that day but I will try to show you what I wore for the splendid affair.


Speaking of fairy tales... here's what I know: "Fairy tales were not my escape from reality as a child; rather, they were my reality -- for mine was a world in which good and evil were not abstract concepts, and like fairy-tale heroines, no magic would save me unless I had the wit and heart and courage to use it widely. Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. If you happen to read fairy tales, you will observe that one idea runs from one end of them to the other--the idea that peace and happiness can only exist on some condition. Classic fairy tales do not deny the existence of heartache and sorrow, but they do deny universal defeat."


Think of every fairy-tale villainess you've ever heard of. Think of the wicked witches, the evil queens, the mad enchantresses. Think of the alluring sirens, the hungry ogresses, the savage she-beasts. Think of them and remember that somewhere, sometime, they've all been real. They still are. And once in your life, you may stumble upon one of them....

As for happy endings, I think we should all find our own. I always wanted to live happily ever after but I noticed the notion is more of a now and then thing rather than a constant state of being. Happily-ever-afters don't come in happily-every-days. They are found at the end of challenges-ever-met, promises-ever-kept, and tears-ever-wept. 



Despite all this, I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after.

For now, I may not have my happily ever after, but I will settle for happily. 

xx, JL 


No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL