Aug 5, 2013

I Need A Minute





T-shirt: ASMA | Denim Shorts: Zara | Sandals: Tutum | Necklace: Frou Frou | Sunglasses: Naleigh Shop | Bag: Vintage Italian Purse



I need a break from all the frills and thrills that usually makes up most of my outfits. I know, I love dressing up, getting dolled up and all the frou frou but sometimes, a girl's got to take a break, a breather and not think about anything. This was the day I decided to do that... the only explanation I have for this outfit is that these were the first things that I got out of my closet, as they were on the top pile of the mountain of clothes on one of my closets. I didn't want to fuss over what to wear and just take a chance, and I guess it was just my luck that casual wear (even without my decision making skills) turned into a classic look. Of course, not one to skimp on a statement piece (I know, I know, I said casual but I got to have one glam factor), I wore my new baroque designed ornate sunnies from Naleigh Shop which I absolutely loved as it can instantly spice up even the blandest of ensembles. I know most are not used with me being so dressed down but, hey, even I need a minute!





Speaking of needing a minute, allow me to use this opportunity to rant about the hypocrisy that is becoming a prevailing thought among people who shun others for being who they are. This is not to berate or target a certain person but I just am fed up with the pretense and the condescension. I am the first to admit, I am mainstream. I love pop. I enjoy the fine and pretty things in life. I love the hype...actually I am all about the hype! I make no apologies for who I am. I don't feel the need to set myself apart by being all indie or rebellious, simply because that's not me. I like being primped up and proper and I love being appropriate in my behavior, in how I dress and how I present myself when the occasion presents itself. I love fashion, I spend for designer items, and I love shopping, which has caused me to be placed under scrutiny by "holier than thou" people and am labeled as pretentious, ostentatious or a person fueling consumerism and materialistic desires. I find these accusations unbelievable and to be honest, downright dumb and shallow. People dismiss my love for fashion and dressing up as a characteristic of a shallow person, but when it comes down to it, is it not these dismissive personalities who are actually the shallow ones? Just because fashion plays a major role in my life does not mean that THAT is all I am about. Sometimes, people need to realize that there is more to a person than the bag she is carrying or the brand she is wearing. People who are all about "being free to be you and me," I realize are actually the first ones to contradict themselves. Correct me if I am wrong but being indie is all about individualism, however, why is it that I find myself constantly berated and put down by the very people who subscribe to this thought or ideals?




Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against the indie, hipster culture that is the major catalyst for powering the arts. I respect it actually and I love that people get to be like that. I look up to people who set themselves apart and who do not conform. I am just not into the whole thing but just because I fall into the other side of the spectrum doesn't mean I judge or look down on other people who are not like me or who do not think like me. I am actually one who accepts people for who they are and who they want to be... with absolutely no judgment. What ticks me off more than anything are people who sit on their high horse and try to enforce whatever belief system they have on other people. I have actually lost all respect for anyone who condescends other people for the interests they have or for how they live their lives. Stereotypes exist because of those who think like this. Correct me if I am wrong but in all honesty, one thing I always answer when asked about how people live and my opinion about them is, "who am I to judge?" I actually find it funny, because it is actually not my style to impose my views and my choices. People often ask me why I spend so much on designer items and I find it ridiculous that I have to explain myself. I have no reason, really except that "because I want to." Criticize me all you want and my very mainstream life. My philosophy is to live large and make no apologies for it. I reckon, as long as I am not committing a crime or stepping on anyone, what I choose to do, buy or wear is nobody else's business but mine. If you have something to say about my lifestyle, then I feel bad for you, because ultimately, I think you are too busy pointing out what you think is wrong with how I am living than to actually live and enjoy your life.

Ultimately, my point is this: I think we should stop forcing how we are to the world and just let people be. I find it absolutely sad when people judge that just because you are into fashion or that you are a fashion blogger, you are instantly shallow. If certain people actually get off their high horses, they will discover that there are so many fashion bloggers and enthusiasts who are full of substance and who have achieved so much on other aspects of their lives such as in their field of work, in their education and in aiding the community in general. This is an open message directed to those who pride themselves above anyone else because they involve themselves in other more important things (in their own universe and by their own standards anyway) than fashion. Just a friendly reminder: just because a person wants to dress up and document what they wear does not automatically mean they are shallow and vapid. Look closely, choose not to ignore this one factor and maybe, you'll realize all the misconceptions you have. 

Who are you to condemn how people dress? And if ultimately, you pride yourself for fighting for freedom and for people's rights... do you not think it a sad that you are the face of hypocrisy by your insults and jabs at other people? Just saying.

At the end of the day, I can only dismiss the reasoning of such individuals to having deep rooted issues stemming out from deprivation or insecurity or just plain and simple cattiness. But... who am I to judge?

 

xx, JL

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL