Aug 15, 2014

Boho Beach


Rarely am I seen barefooted, in a flowy dress and playing along the shore of the beach. I saw this dress and automatically thought of the character of Misty Day from American Horror Story Season 3!!! Back to my free-spirit being undocumented...I don't quite know why. Maybe I get too lost in the moment to take a photograph or ask someone to- but this is a habit that I happen to love doing. I am not the kind of girl who will sit all prissy in oversized shades under a cabana trying top avoid the sun, slathering on sunblock while lounging in my sun chair. It's an unhealthy habit but the terms SPF, UV rays, bites and stings tend to be lost on me the moment I felt and caught a whiff of sea breeze. I am the "I-like-to-chase-waves-as-they-crash-along-the-shore" girl and when I see sun, sand and sea- I get so excited I almost spazz out. People rarely know this side to me as I do present myself in quite a very formal way- fierce blogger poses, smiling with no teeth and chin up photos circa 2012... Exhibit A. So here I am, finally sharing my happy-go-lucky side. Ah, in praise of life's natural highs...Priceless.


Every time I stand before a beautiful beach, its waves seem to whisper to me: If you choose the simple things and find joy in nature’s simple treasures, life and living need not be so hard. 

Psyche Roxas-Mendoza

 

Bohemian Embroidered Dress with Flowy Sleeves: SheInside.com
Earrings and Accessories: Cultus Chi Chi (Also Worn HERE)


Photos by: Celyn


When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused.  

Rainer Maria Rilke

When I was young, I was lucky enough to grow up in a Manila, practically almost a beach town (Manila Bay, anyone?) and have a family who are practically beach dwellers... the coast of the beach seemed to always be at my fingertips- and I has do many choices available. It was something I really appreciated. Growing up, I thought everyone had a beach a car ride away from their house and never quite understood how people managed to live in places that had snow falling from the sky. A notable memory would be when I was a kid and I asked my mom how eskimos could swim in the beach under all that heavy fur. She just laughed at me... I was serious and I couldn't bear to fathom how people just can't have access to the beach. It was for me, and perhaps still is, the most beautiful place that I know of. Because of my close proximity to the beach, my family, friends and I would be at the beach every chance we could get. I remember a summer where I was in seven different beaches every week. I got really dark to the point of non-recognition (it was my first year in college, I think) and it never dawned on my how my skin was moving 50 shades darker until the first day of school and everyone asked if my tan line was a white bra strap trend I was a trend I was trying to "make happen." 

I always get along with fellow beach babies... that is a prerequisite to be my friend (as silly as it may sound)... but really, if I need some soul searching and a week off of life in the city or if I need some enlightenment and a retreat and if you're my friend and have to go with me, be prepared to go to the beach. Mountain retreats, cold weather, fog and fireplaces and wooden lodges were never my thing... they don't give me solace...they give me rashes...whereas the beach, ah, the beach... gives me insight, enlightenment and a significant sense of calm. It also makes me realize many things... almost like a tidal wave of emotions crash away and I am just so blissful. I always had this image of myself living in the beach- swimming, chasing waves, making sand castles and tanning. The smell of an ocean breeze implants memories of me and my goals of being a beach bum, living in my bikinis (I have over 300 pairs, I am sure that would suffice as wardrobe, sipping Pina Colada, eating fresh coconut juice, having beach hair (ie. looking like a swamp creature) and just watch the waves move back and forth... which I know I can only do for three weeks max and then it won't be conducive for living anymore for me. I mean, where would I wear my Hermes bags and heels at the beach? (Yes, I can also be a very shallow person sometimes)...) But those things aside, the beach is always "the place to go to" when I need to go away for some peace and quiet and I consider myself absolutely lucky that clarity and a mental and emotional reboot is always just a hop, skip and few bumpy zigzag roads away. 


Photos by: Celyn Jaravata

xx, JL

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say.
So, send in your love.

xx
JL